Purpose of Job
Optimise commercial performance of the business through diligent contract management, pricing strategies, innovative contractual arrangements, tendering processes, management of risk and accurate cost control
The ideal profile would be someone from a commercial background or commercial finance background. Therefore, if you are a qualified accountant (such as CIMA) with transferable skills in business partnering, building business cases, financial & commercial analysis, exposure to pricing etc then you will be strongly considered.
- Key Features
- Responsible for approving profit margins and deposits on non-standard projects having considered current rental policy, customer status and ‘second life’ of the asset
- Maintaining the ‘Tariff’ on standard equipment taking into DG Accounting Policy and current business strategy
- Reviewing contract prices increases allowed within the contractual terms & contracts of hire
- Maintain strong relationships with clients / customers to agree valuations and complex variations ensuring these are correctly processed, documented and either billed or added to the hire contract
- As part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) working closely with the Managing Director on new products, business ideas and acquisitions
- Defining new pricing strategies to help retain market relationship, strengthen our customer relationships, and improve the long-term profitability of the business
- Early input and recommendations on whether a proposed project, whether contract or sale, is in the best interests of the business in respect to risk, profitability and current business strategy
- Resolving any Terms & Conditions queries to ensure a deal ‘happens’ but without exposing the business to any significant losses in terms of cost or reputation
- Negotiating and implementing JCT design and build contracts with clients and sub-contractors. Ensuring that the DG agreement is sufficient for the contract being agreed
- Ensure applications for payments on build projects are submitted and agreed by the client/quantity survey in a timely manner
- Assist in compiling tender packages
- Produce project specification documents to support projects being signed
- First contact with customers in respect of customer issues not limited to but including non-payment of debt, asset performance, stock loss claims
- Establish a strong working relationship with Head Office including but not limited too Legal & Tendering.
- Maintain a positive relationship with all members of the Management & Sales Teams.
- Perpetually review the performance and efficiency of the Commercial Team.
- Person Specification
The below qualities are essential attributes:
- Capable of becoming Finance Director within 2 years
- Qualified to Degree level or equivalent in a commercial or associated discipline relative to the role
- Experience in Construction Contracts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable commercial management experience