Purpose of job
A member of the senior management team you will help drive change and growth with new products, new ventures, new ways of working while optimising commercial performance of the business through diligent contract management, pricing strategies, innovative contractual arrangements, tendering processes, management of risk and accurate cost control
The ideal profile would be someone from a commercial or commercial finance background.
Our client is one of the largest business units in terms of profitability. In recent years as evolved from an equipment rental provider to become a consultative business partner offering innovative solutions and assisting process change to optimise results for customers.
- Responsible for approving profit margins and deposits on non-standard projects having considered ROCE / margin expectations, current rental strategy, availability, available resource, customer status and ‘second life’ of the asset.
Approval of rental quotations having considered current rental strategy discussing quotations with the Head of Sales where appropriate.
- Maintaining the ‘Tariff’ on standard equipment in accordance with current capital pricing, deprecation & accounting policies and current business strategy.
Reviewing rates on contracts raising where appropriate as allowed within the contractual terms & contracts of hire.
As part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) working closely with the Managing Director on new products, business ideas and acquisitions.
Defining new pricing strategies to help retain market relationship, strengthen our customer relationships, and improve the long-term profitability of the business.
Early input and recommendations on whether a proposed project, whether contract or sale, is in the best interests of the business in respect to risk, profitability, current business strategy and ‘second life’.
- Resolving any Terms & Conditions queries to ensure a deal ‘happens’ but without exposing the business to any significant losses in terms of cost or reputation.
- Assisting on JCT design and build contracts with clients and sub-contractors.
- First contact with customers in respect of customer issues not limited to but including non-payment of debt, asset performance, stock loss claims.
Establish a strong working relationship with Head Office including but not limited too Legal & Tendering.
- Maintain a positive relationship with all members of the Management & Sales Teams
- Perpetually review the performance and efficiency of the Commercial Team.
Ideal person specification
- Capable of becoming Commercial Director within 2 years
- Qualified to Degree level or equivalent in a commercial or associated discipline relative to the role
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Inquisitive and problem-solving skill base
- Demonstrable commercial management experience