Interim Financial Controller – 6-12 months
COMPETITIVE DAY RATE
Hamilton Woods is actively recruiting for an Interim Financial Controller within a growing SME subsidiary that sits within a large European group. The Financial Controller is to directly support the Chief Financial Officer. additionally, stakeholder management towards the Chief Operating Officer is also crucial, as well as being a senior leader within the rest of the business. As the business has grown, more of the business development aspects are becoming the responsibility of the CFO, therefore requiring a proven individual to effectively lead the finance team of an exciting and rapidly growing organisation.
- Line management of two individuals
- Overseeing and improving transactional processes and controls (AP/AR/Cash/Payroll)
- Ensuring the continued development of financial reporting compliance and standards (both internal and external)
- Working closely with external advisers to develop controls and compliance in tax affairs (primarily, VAT, Corporation Tax, R&D claims, employment taxes and Stamp-Duty Land Tax)
- Managing the annual audits and supporting the Audit Committee
- Managing risk and internal control processes
- Being the owner of the accounting information systems and further developing that functionality
- Running the financial month-end timetable, creating the management accounts, and drafting the board packs using input from all departments across the business
- Co-ordinating the budget process and establishing a forecast process within the business
- Partnering with the COO to review the CAPEX direction of the business; ultimately working with the Commercial Finance Analyst to develop ROI models for all types of investments
- Owning overheads for the business and seeking projects to improve efficiency
- Developing a self-billing system from the ground-up (one does not currently exist in any form).
Key Personal Skills/Knowledge:
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, listening). This includes the ability to give effective presentations to all levels of management.
- High levels of interpersonal skills, specifically around influencing without direct authority, resolving conflict, and creative problem-solving.
- Proven analytic skills. Must be comfortable analysing data with advanced Excel skills and systems logic, then developing clear and actionable conclusions/recommendations.
- Organised and confident; will be the one point of contact for a wide operations team on multiple topics and will need to react effectively to demands
- Biased toward action. Takes initiative, is entrepreneurial, can hit the ground running and move projects forward right from the start. Seeks forgiveness, not permission.
Work Experience and Qualifications:
- A qualified accountant, with noted experience as a Financial Controller, plus a strong background in reporting, tax, controls and compliance plus reporting and process efficiency is necessary
- Experience in construction, manufacturing, or sub-contractor management beneficial
- Strong IT implementation and automation track-record
- Exposure to decision-making and business partnering would also be an advantage