Major Recruitment are currently seeking a workshop engineering manager for our client in the Brighouse area.
Purpose of Job
To provide effective supervision to workshop engineering staff involved in the service and repair of Sweeper Division hire fleet equipment to ensure that equipment remains in a safe and legal condition and assisting the Fleet Controller to match workshop priorities with the commercial demands of the business.
- Key Features
The job holder reports to the OM on all work and personnel issues and has responsibility for the following:
- Allocation of engineering work to appropriate engineers or apprentices, where applicable, to ensure an efficient and effective equipment turnaround performance
- To monitor and progress the workshop W.I.P., ensuring that delays or issues are communicated to the Fleet Controller and that issues are escalated to the relevant Manager immediately
- Fault diagnosis, repair, and routine maintenance of fleet equipment with minimal supervision, in a safe and economic manner, employing such skills and knowledge as are required at minimum cost to the Company
- Ensuring that all routine maintenance or repair work is the subject of an accurate written report including details of parts used and time taken on a work record card
- To ensure that all hire fleet equipment released to the end user meets DVSA/industry minimum operating standard, accompanied by the appropriate compliance documentation
- Recommending to the OM, as and when appropriate, training required to ensure that Engineers and Apprentices are suitably skilled in the work they are asked to perform and in the operation of equipment they are required to use.
- Providing technical advice to the OM in cases of suspected driver abuse and other potentially costly repairs, particularly where economic repair seems doubtful
- Ensuring that all tools and equipment used in the course of any such routine maintenance or repair work are maintained in a clean, tidy and safe
- Ensuring that all work engineering areas at Brighouse are kept clean, tidy and safe at all
- Observing safe working practices at all times in accordance with Company policy, legislation and as instructed by the OM & SHE, to be accountable to highlighting hazards and near misses to the SHE
- Examining sweepers and other Company equipment and reporting verbally or in writing regarding their Checking hire fleet assets in and out, recording damage and other work required on the company documentation. Working with the Workshop Administrator to produce and submit off hire damage estimates to end users in a timely manner.
- Safeguarding assets under the department’s control in accordance with Company security guidelines and as instructed by the
- Assisting the rental operations department to affect a weekly stock check of all hire fleet assets not on rent, as required.
- Authorising Engineers and Apprentices to carry out additional work within limits set by the OM
- Assessing Engineers’ and Apprentices’ and making recommendations to the OM regarding training requirements and workshop plant and equipment operation authorisation lists
- Authorising Engineers’ and Apprentices’ overtime within guidelines set out
by the OM
- Authorising workshop staff holidays, sickness and other absence in accordance with guidelines set out by the OM
- This job description outlines the main objectives, authority levels and responsibilities of this position at the time of writing. Where necessary and as appropriate to the operation of the business, permanent or temporary changes may be made involving like or related work
- Significant problems should be reported to the Operations Manager in good time
- Serious staff issues or any apparent requirement for disciplinary action should be referred without delay to the OM for action
- Adherence to the company Health, Safety and Environmental and other relevant policies
- All staff must respect company confidentiality and disclose information to customers, suppliers or their agents only as authorised by the directors of the company
- Ensuring all workshop functions are covered in times of sickness and/or holiday absences
- All staff may be required to assist with any other duties, to meet the needs of the business, as requested by the OM
This role profile is not exhaustive and is subject to review in conjunction with the post-holder and according to the future challenges/developments in the Company.