All about Temp Work
Are you looking to earn a weekly wage? Perhaps you’re getting started in a new career and need some experience? Maybe you’re looking for some seasonal work whilst you’ve got a bit of time on your hands? Temporary work could be exactly what you need. Need to know more about temporary work? Here’s some helpful information!
Is temporary work for me?
There are many reasons to apply for temporary work, here are some of the key ones that you should know about:
- Weekly pay – A huge benefit of working with us is our weekly payment structure. We pay all of our candidates on a Friday via secure BACS transfer. This includes any overtime hours you may have completed.
- Gain experience – Working as temporary staff you will have access to lots of different opportunities within different companies. This will grow your industry knowledge, adding skills to your CV and boosting your future employability whilst earning money.
- Temp-to-Perm opportunities – Our clients sometimes decide to make on a temporary worker a full time member of staff. Starting out as a temp and showing the company what you can do is a brilliant way to land a permanent position. If you’re aiming to go temp-to-perm, let us know and we will do everything we can to make this happen!
- Seasonal/flexible Work – This means no long-term commitments or ties. Work when you want, for as long as you want, then go back to your other commitments. This is ideal for students, it lets you earn money and work around your timetable.
- Grow your network – Temping is a great way to meet new people in your industry. Each company you work for gives you the opportunity to grow your network. Get your name and information out there, build relationships with various employers.
- Work/life balance – You will have the freedom to choose what hours you work. Temp workers tend to have a better work/life balance.
What benefits do I get?
At Major we provide all of our temporary workers with some of the best benefits in the recruitment industry.
- Holiday entitlement – You will receive your holiday entitlement depending on the hours you have accrued. In other words, the more you work the more entitlement you will create. If you are ever confused about it, call your local branch and they will help you work this out, just get in touch.
- Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) – If for any reason you are taken ill, you are entitled to receive sick pay based on your hours accrued. Again, don’t worry if you get confused, your local branch can help you with this.
- National Minimum Wage – As with permanent positions, you will always earn at least the UK national minimum wage.
- Personal Doctor – Our subscription-based service gives all of our workers access to a GP 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – it is just a phone call away! Webcam consultations are available with your doctor online. You can then receive prescriptions for any necessary medicine.
- Discount Outlet – We provide our workers with discounts and offers with some of the high end brands. These can be shopping, travelling and even dining out with family and friends. The best thing about these vouchers is, they will never run out. Annual employees will save on average £1,200!
- Fitness & Nutrition – All you have to do is find a gym, leisure centre or fitness camp in your local area and get signed up, using our discounted rates. We can also provide helpful information on keeping fit, healthy choices and other reliable advice.
- Workplace facilities – Depending on where you work, you will receive the same facilities as any other employee. This could be anything from a staff canteen, a common room, or parking facilities.
- Unpaid parental leave – As a temporary member of staff you may also apply for parental leave. However, this will be regarded as unpaid leave.
Our frequently asked questions
We’ve put together some FAQs to help, if you need anymore information or you want to ask any other questions, simply get in touch with your local branch and one of our dedicated team will help you out.
How do I get paid?
We pay all of our temporary workers on a weekly basis. Every Friday you will receive your previous working week’s total pay. It’s one of the many benefits of temping with us. We tend to pay directly into your bank account using secure BACS transfers. If you have any payment queries, please contact your local branch and they can help you out.
I have applied for a job but I have not been contacted yet – why?
There could be a few reason for this. Sometimes are clients are very specific about experience and skills required for the job. Sometimes we may have already put another candidate forward for the role. Regardless of the reason, as long as we have your information in our system and you’re still looking for work, we will contact you as soon as a suitable role is available.
Do I receive any benefits, such as holiday entitlement?
Absolutely! In fact, if you temp with us you receive some of the best benefits in the recruitment industry. Please see a list of all our benefits here.
Why should I be a temporary worker?
Working as a temporary worker has lots of advantages, please see here for a full list of the advantages of temping with us.
Can I apply for more than one job?
Of course! If you think you’re suitable for more than one vacancy, just apply for those directly or speak to your local branch about the roles you’re interested in.
What documents do I need to bring with me when visiting the branch?
In order to complete your application, we need the following information and documents:
- Identification – A valid passport or a full length A4 Birth Certificate
- Proof of National Insurance – A National Insurance Number (NINO) Card or a letter from the Job Centre
- Proof of Address – Driving Licence, Utility Bill, letter from the Job Centre, a Bank Statement, or a Tenancy agreement.
*We cannot accept an expired passport (unless it is a UK passport under 10 years old) as identification.