Major Recruitment and Stronger Together work together in a multi-stakeholder business-led initiative aiming to reduce the issue of modern slavery.
Focusing on forced labour, labour trafficking and other hidden third party exploitation of workers.
What is ‘Modern Slavery’?
- Human Trafficking – The movement or recruitment of persons by means of threat, force or coercion for the purpose exploitation
- Forced Labour – A person is made to work against their will under the fear of a penalty
- Rogue landlords – Housing people in overcrowded and unsafe properties, often with threats of eviction or other intimidation
- Work-Finding Fees – In the UK it is unlawful for workers to be required to pay to get a job.
What’s the scale of ‘Modern Slavery’?
The problem of modern slavery is much more common than you may first realise.
- Human trafficking is the fastest growing criminal industry in the world
- Up 67% in two years in UK
- 40,000,000 Global victims of slavery – GSI 2016
- It is the second most profitable criminal industry to drugs
What are Major doing to tackle hidden labour exploitation?
- Distributing worker leaflets and displaying posters
- Building awareness, by educating workers and supervisors
- Highlighting and implementing preventative measures
- Working in unison with employee representatives and trade unions
- Implementing channels for workers to report exploitation
We need your assistance to eradicate the problem of modern slavery!
Here’s what you can do to tackle modern slavery:
1. Look For Indicators
- Threats of/or actual physical/sexual violence
- Restriction of movement and confinement to the workplace or to a limited area
- Debt Bondage – An employee works to pay off a debt/loan, and is not paid for their services
- Withholding of wages – Refusing to pay the worker or making excessive wage reductions
- Retention of passports and identity documents
- Threat of reporting to the authorities
2. Report it!
If you suspect forced labour, human trafficking, rogue landlords, work finding fees in work:
- Talk to a trusted manager or worker representative
- Leave a message or note
- Inform Major or Stronger Together and we’ll do the rest